The most familiar term to describe these type of vehicles are mild or micro-hybrid cars. They have been designed to operate with superior fuel efficiency in mind, hence reducing emissions by approximately 5 to 10% to induce a cleaner environment.
The downside to this technology is that they require newly developed automotive batteries to withstand the constant idle-stop-start demands, especially in city grid-lock driving conditions.
In simple terms, vehicles fitted with ISS Systems shut off the engine when the brakes are applied, comes to a stop and is in idling motion. As soon as the accelerator is used, the engine effortlessly restarts once more to get your vehicle in driving motion again. So, you can see how this system will benefit you by offering less fuel consumption, fewer fuel emissions, and thus resulting in a cleaner environment.
Now, to handle the massive demands associated with this system, robust idle stop-start batteries were required. Conventional starting batteries could not handle the constant idle-stop-start and onboard accessory loads when the engine is off.
The batteries suited to this type of application need to withstand the following driving conditions:
- The battery plates manufactured with extra thickness.
- The active material/paste is of higher density.
- Advanced/Superior negative battery plate additives.
- The grids manufactured with superior durability/endurance.
- Manufactured with enhanced battery cycling capabilities.
- Have the capability to receive a higher charge acceptance.
What Vehicles Incorporate Idle Stop Start Batteries And Systems?
By the year 2015, approximately 70% of vehicles driven in some countries will incorporate the “ISS” technology. The demand for the specified “ISS” automotive batteries will gradually increase over the next few years, to accommodate the ever growing population of these vehicles.
Currently, the list is growing with vehicles fitted with this innovative technology. Manufacturers such as BMW, Toyota, Mazda, Volkswagon and Audi have already implemented this system to some of their new range models.
Keep These Three Battery Maintenance Tools Handy!
By regularly checking the state of your battery you will avoid getting stranded with a dead one. Ongoing inspection is the key to have years of trouble-free starting power, longevity and not having to call a roadside replacement service for a Long, Long Time.
Fact: Short distance driving and not using your vehicle enough leads to undercharged batteries which equals acid stratification and sulfation. The number one reason they fail prematurely.
1) The Matson Electronic Battery Tester with Printer will give you an Instant State of Health in the condition of your battery. This is a “Must Have Tool” if you would like to increase the Longevity and Replacement Intervals.
2) In the event the digital tester says it requires a charge the Ctek MXS 10 12V 10 Amp Smart Battery Charger (56-823) and will keep your battery in Optimum Condition at all times.
3) If you accidentally leave your Headlights or an Interior Light on you must keep a portable Matson 12 Volt Lithium Jump Starter in your Glove Box. It’s happened to most of us only to find out our battery has gone completely flat and unable to start the vehicle.
Suddenly, our future environment is looking brighter and cleaner, with the ever-increasing idle stop-start batteries and systems for cars of the future.
Next Page: Latest News