The most familiar term to describe Stop-Start-Batteries vehicle systems is mild or micro-hybrid cars. They have been designed to operate with superior fuel efficiency in mind, reducing emissions by approximately 5 to 10% to induce a cleaner environment.
The downside to this technology is that they require newly developed automotive batteries to withstand the constant idle-stop-start demands, especially in city grid-lock driving conditions.
In simple terms, vehicles fitted with ISS Systems shut off the engine when the brakes are applied, comes to a stop and is in idling motion. As soon as the accelerator is used, the engine effortlessly restarts once more to get your vehicle in driving motion again. So, you can see how this system will benefit you by offering less fuel consumption, fewer fuel emissions, resulting in a cleaner environment.
Now, to handle the massive demands associated with this system a robust ISS battery were required. Conventional starting batteries could not handle the constant idle-stop-start and onboard accessory loads when the engine is off.
Please Note: New Stop-Start Batteries will require a new registration/configuration within the BMS (Battery Management System) to notify the charging system it’s a new battery.
The batteries suited to this type of application need to withstand the following driving conditions:
- The battery plates manufactured with extra thickness.
- The active material/paste is of higher density.
- Advanced/Superior negative battery plate additives.
- The grids manufactured with superior durability/endurance.
- Manufactured with enhanced battery cycling capabilities.
- Have the capability to receive a higher charge acceptance.
There are two types of ISS Batteries (Instant Stop-Start)
- ISS EFB (Enhanced Flooded Batteries) incorporates a flooded durable cell system with enhanced 2x charging acceptance to handle ISS systems’ extra energy cyclic capabilities. They approximately generate 85,000 engine starts compared to 30,000 from standard batteries. Suited for standard ISS vehicles with dependable cyclic and starting power.
- ISS AGM (Absorbent Glass Mat) has superior engine starting power with 3x higher cycling performance. They incorporate very thin fibreglass matting, which absorbs the sulfuric acid making them spill-proof and completely free of maintenance. Suited for advanced ISS vehicles which require superior cyclic and starting power.
How to identify if your vehicle utilises an ISS System
- When your vehicle comes to a stop, does the engine turn-off and then instantly turns on when the brake is disengaged?
- Do you have a symbol on your dashboard depicting an Idle Stop-Start System accompanied by switch control to engage or turn off as required?
- Check the labelling on your existing battery to see if it reads ISS EFB or ISS AGM battery.
What Vehicles Incorporate Stop-Start Batteries And Systems?
By 2015, approximately 70% of vehicles driven in some countries will incorporate the “ISS” technology. The demand for the specified “ISS” automotive batteries will gradually increase over the next few years to accommodate these vehicles’ ever-growing population.
Currently, the list is growing with vehicles fitted with this innovative technology. Manufacturers such as BMW, Toyota, Mazda, Volkswagon and Audi have already implemented this system in their new range models. Please note that Stop-Start-Batteries in some vehicles will require a new battery registration; the Technician will advise you.
We Support Australian Made Batteries & Local Jobs
“Car Battery Delivery & Installation To Get You Moving Fast!”
Click number to call us:
02 4044 2807
- Vehicle make, model and year
- Is it petrol or diesel?
- Is it an Instant Stop-Start vehicle?
We Specialise In All Vehicle Makes & Models
Suddenly, our future environment looks brighter and cleaner, with the ever-increasing idle stop-start batteries and systems for cars of the future.
Next Page: Latest News